Sunday, June 3, 2007

Talk Less, Think More

Talk less. Think more. Wise words from a wise man. Words I need to take more seriously. That's what I took away from the message at church this morning. How often do my lips flap before my brain registers the warning, "STOP!!!!"

If I want people to take me seriously in my faith - especially those who don't know Jesus - I really need to consider the message I'm sending with my words. Not so much the words I'm saying, but the meaning behind them, you know? Are my words painting someone in a bad light? Am I leaving someone with a negative impression of my church, my faith or, heaven forbid, Jesus? Are my words building up or tearing down? Is there any real value in what I'm saying - or would I be better off holding my tongue?

So yeah, I'm going to try really hard this week to talk less - and make the words I use count for something.

As for the think more part, if I'm focusing on "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely whatever is admirable (Philippians 4:8)," how much more valuable would be the words that escape my lips? And how much greater would be my peace of mind? Again, to quote a very wise man, "What you think, you are."

What do you think?

PS... That very wise man is Pastor Les Somers of StoneRidge Fellowship... check out today's message at www.StoneRidgeFellowship.com.

2 comments:

The Barretts said...

Great thoughts ;) Get it? Thoughts..hehehe

Anyway, I have always loved that verse. It's something that we all need to do; think about the good.

Unknown said...

Good Post! Interestingly, we were talking about this topic at our small group on Thursday night. Thanks for sharing!

(Thanks, too, for the wheat-free info! My biggest curiousity is what I could bake with? I have to do some alternate flour(s) investigating.)