Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mission: PURGE!

Two or three times a year I experience an irrepressible urge to purge! Closets, drawers, cupboards... if it can hold stuff, it's in my sights! And I'm ruthless. If I don't like it, use it, want it... it goes! That could mean it goes in the trash, the recycling, the Red Cross donation bin or... gasp... the re-gifting pile! No, I have no shame in that. And honestly, I'm not ungrateful. I'm just not a stuff person; I hate to dust and I'm very practical. So better that than throw out a perfectly good something that someone else would enjoy, right? For me, the best gifts are generally the ones I can use... dishes, cookware, sheets (100% cotton with a high thread count!), an iTunes gift card... but I would take an all-expenses-paid vacation to any sun destination! 

So, another large bag of stuff for the garbage. Two small bags for the Red Cross. Nothing for the re-gifting pile this time. And more space in my closets, drawers and cupboards. One of these days I'm going to run out of stuff to purge. Every time I do this, it makes me think about how I spend my money. And that, in turn, makes me think twice when I'm in the mall and contemplating a purchase. Do I really want or need it? Will I get bored with it in a month or two? Is it an impulse purchase? Most of the time, I walk away without the item. Honestly, I can't even think of an instance when I've been sorry that I walked away. I can think of a few things that I wish I had walked away from, though.

All in all, a very productive day. Now, if only my sink weren't full of dirty dishes... !

2 comments:

AMY said...

Purging is much more complicated for me - I'm a pack-rat by nature. I'd much rather organize all the stuff into Rubbermaid totes and neatly label them with my pTouch machine :) I have at least 50 totes in my storage room!

Sarah said...

I am SOOO much like you in this area. Honestly, it's like I wrote this myself....:)