Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hard Habit to Break

Yes, the first thing that comes to my mind after typing the title is that great Chicago ballad of the same name... but no, that's not really what's on my mind.

Why is it that good habits are so easy to break - and bad habits nearly impossible to break? Conversely, why is it that good habits are so hard to form - and bad habits so easy?

Take food, for example. I can go along for weeks and make good choices with no trouble... then BAM! In about 3 seconds, one impulsive bad choice leads to a week of bad choices and a struggle to get back in the habit of making good ones. I don't even enjoy the bad choices all that much (unless plain rippled potato chips and chocolate soy milk or chocolate pie and real whipped cream are involved), so why do I continue to sabotage my health goals with bad choices? (On a side note: Why oh why was I cursed with the metabolism of a rock?!)

This has been one of those weeks. I can't even remember what started it right now, so whatever it was clearly wasn't worth it. Believe me, I'd remember it if a slice of Mom's chocolate pie was involved! :) Yet it started a landslide of bad choices. However today is a new day. And to quote one of my favourite characters of all time, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." (That is, of course, Anne Shirley.)

No comments: