I just love sermons that get under my skin. Really, I do. I heard just such a sermon this past Sunday from James 3 about that wild beast known as the tongue! (Check it out at www.srfconnect.com; Basic Training, Week 6). It's really humbling to admit that my words wouldn't always pass muster.
I've said a lot of things I shouldn't have... and wish I hadn't. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, sometimes unintentionally, but more often disguised as opinions. I'm thankful I've never been much of a gossip. Being the subject of some ridiculous gossip recently (the details of which no longer matter) has given me pause to really think about my own words no matter what the context. Would I want someone to say those things about me? Would I say the same thing directly to the person? Moreover, do my words honour God? It's so easy to let hurt, anger, frustration, disappointment or confusion spill over into a barrage of words that would be better directed to God (who knows what we're thinking and feeling anyway) than to those around us.
I'm not saying we shouldn't talk over troubles, concerns, hurts and such with trusted friends and family members. I am saying we should choose our words and our confidantes very carefully. If the feelings of those around me and my own reputation aren't enough to compel me to speak with care, this should be: "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment." (Matthew 12:36) A sobering thought, for sure. But I am encouraged to know that God forgives. He is able to help me conquer and control my wayward tongue, if I'm willing to allow Him to. And I am. How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment