Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lessons from Dust Bunny Ranch

Honestly! I could spend my life sweeping and still not keep up with the dust bunnies that accumulate before I've even put the broom away... or so it seems. It was much less noticeable when I had carpet rather than all hardwood and ceramic tile. Seriously, where does it all come from?!

Yes, this is what it looks like under my bed right now!
I wish I could say I swept every day. I don't. I mean to, but somehow other things just seem to take precedence... work, eating, sleeping, Bejeweled Blitz... you know, the important things in life!

I run into that same problem when it comes to reading my Bible. Those same things - and a lack of discipline - keep me from that, too. And just like the dust that accumulates on my floor, so too do I get covered in the dust that comes from the ins and outs of every day life. Like the dust on the floor, I don't notice it right away, but all of a sudden it piles up and I wonder how it happened. If I had just taken a few minutes each day to run the Swiffer over the floors, dust wouldn't accumulate. Likewise, if I would set aside time each day to spend in God's word (and stick with it), the dust of this world wouldn't have a chance to accumulate and weigh me down and wear me out.

So I guess this is my declaration that I am going to make a concerted effort to be more disciplined both with sweeping and spending time in the Word. Feel free to hold me accountable!

1 comment:

Nalan said...

So, what are you reading this week?